Friday, April 15, 2011

Great Expectations, or Much Ado About Nothing

I've come here today to discuss the future of this blog and make yet another reference to The Happiness Project. It really is a great blog; you should go and read it. I could go on to say how it's a much worthier blog than this one, and what the heck are you doing here reading this blog and in a sense it would all be relevant because that's why I'm writing this post. Mostly for myself, you see, especially since I've only got one follower at this point. Which isn't to say that I've got one reader, but still. Small digression to point out that when I started writing this blog, this "follower" business did not exist. And I had to walk two miles to school in the snow, uphill both ways. I only had one boot, because I had to share with my sister. And we used to tie an onion around our belt, because that was the style in those days. End of digression.

The thing is, when I started this blog, I also made a promise to myself that I wouldn't write unless I had something worth writing about. I have kept true to that promise, to the extent that I haven't written very much at all. But the fact of the matter is that even now, when I have a lot to say, I am not writing much.

Right now I am wondering how often I should write, which brings us back to The Happiness Project . The author was advised when she started her blog to write every day. This is part of her post on procrastination, and I get it. It is much easier to get in the habit of doing something when you do it everyday.

My problem is the opposite, I think. If I am faced with doing something EVERY day, I find that to be quite intimidating. I'm a recovering all-or-nothing kind of gal, but that's another post for another day. Besides, once I've gone through all the ideas I've been storing up for a moment when I have time to write, what would I write about?

And this brings me to my final point, and back to make sense of the earlier disparaging comments. A person cannot do anything for an extended period of time unless it is something they enjoy. Steal Like an Artist is an inspirational piece that says that rather than the tired adage "write what you know," you should really be writing what you like. So regardless of whether or not this is the crappiest blog ever and no one reads it, I'm writing for my own enjoyment. And I think there's something to be said about writing honestly about one's feelings and (trying) not to care what others think. Hey, it worked for Wil Wheaton.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

way to give Wil (one L) a shout out :)

yea, the whole blog thing is a strange beast... be true to yourself and keep on truckin'

Anonymous said...

I like the new look!