Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Bamboo and the Fern

The story of The Bamboo and the Fern made me realize that we don't always have to be doing and growing. Sometimes it's hard to step back from life and learn to be comfortable where you are, rather than trying to see beyond the next peak.

The Happiness Project
reminds me of the paradox inherent in accepting myself and striving to improve myself. While I enjoy reflection and self-improvement, perhaps it was time to try to appreciate all the gains I have made, catch my breath and rest. It was hard to do, the same way I think people find meditation hard to do- we must always feel like we are doing something. When I was in college and university I would use public transit to get to my destinations. This involved taking a bus to the subway station. Sometimes I would walk the 20 minute walk to the subway instead of waiting for the bus, even I knew the bus would pass me on the way there. I just couldn't stand waiting, it seemed so unproductive even though waiting would have got me to my destination sooner and hence, would have been more productive.

So it is with self-improvement. It cannot be forced when the time is not right. I recently had a child, and shortly before giving birth I realized that I had a wonderful opportunity for growth. There is so much we can learn from our children and I look forward to all the lessons that my little guru has to teach me.

"All change is not growth, all movement is not forward" -Oliver Wendell Holmes

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hear that (about the walking instead of waiting). Glad to see you're back writing. :)

PS: You don't have your "follower" thingy set up.