Friday, August 31, 2007

Zen and the Art of Solitaire

I read the first 2 chapters in the book The Joy Diet by Martha Beck. Essentially, I couldn't do the first thing on the diet, which is nothing, so I didn't consider moving on before I had mastered the first step. I never thought it would be difficult to just sit down and do nothing, but it is so ingrained in my Protestant-work ethic body to always be doing. So I found a compromise, and it's working well for me.

Solitaire. It's something many people would consider a waste of time, a mindless activity to pass the time. However, I have discovered life lessons in this simple game. First of all, it is statistically impossible to win every game. Although no statistics currently exist for the game, I know from experience that you can play a game without moving a single card. That's just the way the cards are dealt. Sometimes, that's life. We are dealt whatever cards we have in life, and sometimes, we just can't win. The nice thing about life (and solitaire) is that sometimes we do win. Solitaire may be just a game, and it's easy not to take it seriously. Life is not a game but sometimes I think we take it too seriously. Knowing that sometimes we win and sometimes we lose should help us keep things in perspective.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." -Winston Churchill

No comments: